I have always wanted to be the Incredible Hulk. Ok, maybe not the mean tempered, crazy part BUT, yes, I have always wanted to be strong, powerful, lean and green (perhaps on the INSIDE though)…hasn’t everyone? Bad temper aside, the Hulk shows incredible strength, fantastic power, quite insane flexibility. Maybe “being green” is the secret…
So can “being green” really make you all these things?! Well, it sure helps. And by “being green” I mean feeding your body powerhouse green food and green energy and making sure your body is ALKALINE. Yep. that’s right. I am going back to grade 11 biology here and I am talking about that delicate pH balance our bodies have to live in and regulate in order for us to survive and function properly. pH stands for potential hydrogen and is an acidity-alkalinity measurement based on the number or positively charged ions (alkaline) to the number of negatively charged ions (acid) on a scale of 0 – 14. Our body constantly strives to keep our blood pH levels at 7.35-7.45. On the other hand, our stomach pH is highly acidic to help digest and get the nutrients we need from what we ingest.
“Okaaaaay”, you’re saying right? “That is great, Tamara but, uh what does that have to do with being green?”
“Everything!” is my answer. We literally ARE what we eat and in this day and age, what we eat primarily is a very acidic diet, which, in turn, creates an acid buildup in our bodies. Do you know what thrives in an acidic environment? Disease. Viruses. you name it. All the bad stuff LOVES to hang out in a pH balance of less than 7. If you body is acidic, the bad stuff gets together and talks about the way they are going to hurt you, maybe they stop in at the acid cafe and chat about the process they will follow to make you feel lousy. They might say, “hey guys! let’s just make her feel lethargic first, then how about some headaches? We can add some digestive upset, muscle aches, pain. Some of that good ole foggy brain syndrome. After a while, why not really get into some serious dis-eases? Throw in some colitis or perhaps fibromyalgia, maybe we can get that ‘big C’ in there…”
So…do you really want to provide that acidic environment for disease to flourish? I certainly don’t! So what can we do to make our bodies more alkaline, in which diseases are unable to flourish? Well, we get GREEN! We eat green foods which are very alkalizing, we exercise which helps to alkalize, we drink ALOT of water, preferably oxygen-rich alkaline water, we even add lemons to your water! Yes, lemons and limes are strong alkalizers even though they are acidic fruits!
To make it easy for you, here is a nice, simple list of the fastest, easiest ways to alkalize your body:
· Drink LOTS of water, alkaline water preferably. You can get alkaline water via an alkalizing machine OR simply add that beautiful yellow lemon juice into every cup of water you drink. Did you know that you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces? In other words, if you weigh 150lbs, you should be drinking no less than 75 ounces (or 9-10 cups) of water daily!
· Add those sexy GREENS into your diet. Rich, dark leafy greens like kale and spinach, broccoli, water-rich cucumber and celery etc. The choice is yours! Make a salad with every meal. Yes, EVERY meal! and dressing? simple extra-virgin olive oil or Udo’s Oil mixed with fresh lemon juice and some sea salt and pepper for taste.
· Drink yummy GREEN smoothies and shakes! this is the EASIEST way to get those greens into you without you even realizing it! If you add a mix of whatever combo of greens you wish with frozen berries and a banana. perhaps add some almonds, protein powder, even a greens or spirulina mix in there. Now that is a POWER smoothie!
· Take a shot of wheatgrass first thing in the morning. Chlorophyll, which wheat grass has in copious amounts is THE most alkalizing nutrient ever!
· Exercise daily to keep your body strong!
· Print a list of acid-forming and alkaline-forming foods and get it visible on your fridge so you have a quick reference guide! (check this out: http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/holistic_health/data/thdiet3.html)
Well, my friends, I hope that helps you become your own non-scary incredible Hulk! Get powerful, strong and live a healthy life!
Until we meet again,